Fund the Flow Arts (FFA) is dedicated to advancing the prop manipulation-based Flow Arts, to raise the profile of the artform, encourage innovative artistic progress and scientific inquiry into the benefits and uses of the artform, and to cultivate a global community of Flow Arts practitioners. In pursuit of these goals, we engage in activities that support emerging and established Flow Arts communities, present and showcase the artform to the general public, make the artform accessible to a wide range of people and advance the evolution of the Flow Arts disciplines in technique and artistry.
About the Seed Fund
The Seed Fund is an effort to provide stimulus to projects whose missions and goals are aligned with those of FFA, creating community around or promoting knowledge of the artform to the general public. Our aim is to make small contributions of up to $1,000 to support projects either by giving them the seed funds they need to begin work, or as a stimulus to reach a new threshold of activity.
Some examples of projects that would qualify for funding:
- Promotion/creation of social spaces, resources, and activities for Flow Artists
- Creation of a Flow Arts based theater or dance show
- Community outreach efforts, including after school programs, or enrichment activities for youth, retirees etc.
- Efforts to integrate flow arts with innovative technologies
- Scientific studies or research centered on the Flow Arts
As the Seed Fund is meant to be used for projects that will expand the community, we will not be funding projects that will only see use at private events or benefit small groups of people exclusively. Additionally at this time, we are not funding projects based outside the United States (exception: if your project is sponsored by a US-based institution or will have benefits that will be shared domestically, i.e. research projects with publishable results).
Some examples of projects that would not qualify for funding:
- Creation of any materials for performances at private parties or events (no gogo dancers or performances at private parties or events, including Burning Man)
- Promotion of a troupe for the purpose of getting hired for private parties or events
- Performances by troupes or companies based in non-US countries
- Creation of technology or resources intended to be used/exhibited among a closed group of people.
There are probably many projects we haven’t thought of. Projects can take a variety of forms – we look forward to seeing the reaches of your creativity!
Application period: September 21, 2016 – October 21, 2016.
Project period: 2016-2017
Submit a completed proposal by the closing date of October 21.
Awards will be determined by the board of Fund the Flow Arts as well as a committee comprised of Flow Arts community members, who will remain anonymous until after the awards are announced.
Grant recipients will be announced early November. Recipients will have their projects promoted via Fund the Flow Art’s social media and website, along with a plaque honoring them as a Seed Fund Grant Recipient.
Grant recipients will be expected to have quarterly check-ins to update the Fund on the progress of their project, as well as provide written and/or visual documentation. By the end of the grant cycle, we hope to have a compelling story to tell about your project.